Frospiration: Meet Shivonne!
1. What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Shivonne Jood. I am from the south side of Johannesburg.
2. Describe your hair a little (eg. hair porosity, hair type, hair texture, hair density, personality, etc).
I have given up on trying to find my hair type haha, however I do know it is somewhere in between type 3c-4b. In my opinion, I believe that my porosity type is more important than my hair type. I have low porosity hair that has a mind of its own.
3. How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 3 ½ years.
4. Why did you decide to go natural?
You know what they say, curiosity kills the cat, and in my case, it killed my relaxed ends. I was curious to see what my natural hair would look like, after a failed attempt I decided to give it another try and I haven’t looked back since.
5. What was the hardest thing about returning natural?
The transitioning process was very difficult for me… dealing with two textures is no child’s play. After 8 months of torture I finally decided to let go of my relaxed ends and let my natural hair live.
6. What does your hair regimen comprise of?
Weekly cleansing, deep conditioning at least 3 times a month, protein treatment at least twice a month, moisturising with a butter and sealing in the moisture with oil.
7. What do you love most about your hair?
I love the versatility of my hair. My hair is quite stubborn, but on the days when it feels like cooperating, it definitely does the things.
8. What do you dislike most about your hair?
I dislike my split ends. I had this problem with my relaxed hair as well. I trim them often but somehow they just find their way back into my life. I am doing research and finding ways to combat them, hopefully I find a solution soon.
9. Which 3 products do you swear by?
Curl Styler by The Perfect Hair
Argan oil by ORS
Tresemme Botanique Conditioner
10. What are your top 3 hair tips?
Prep hair the night before
Take care of your scalp (cleanse, moisturise)
Keep regimen simple
11.. Any encouragement for rookie naturals?
Go at your own pace and learn to listen to your hair. What works for someone else might not work for you and that’s okay, just find what works for you.
12. Where can people find you online (Instagram/YouTube/Facebook, etc.)?
YouTube: Jewel in Vee
Facebook: Jewel in Vee