Frospiration: Meet Maria!
1. What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Maria Louw . I’m from Greyton, a small town in the Overberg.
2. Describe your hair a little (eg. hair porosity, hair type, hair texture, hair density, personality, etc).
I have low porosity hair, my hair type is a mixture of type 3c and 4a.
3. How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 3 years. I cut my hair short in 2015 and stopped the use of heat and chemicals. At that time I had no idea that that choice I made is what we call a big chop or going natural.
4. Why did you decide to go natural?
I decided to take this journey because I wanted thicker healthier, more fuller hair with less breakage.
5. What was the hardest thing about returning natural?
The hardest thing for me was actually not my hair, it was the comments and judgment from people in my community, be it family or friends, not understanding what a natural hair journey is about.
6. What does your hair regimen comprise of?
I first do a pre-poo where I spray my hair with warm water and apply oil and finger detangle my hair, then I do twists and shampoo my hair whilst still in twists. I rinse my hair and apply conditioner where I detangle again with a wide tooth comb or a detangle brush. Next, I deep condition my hair under a plastic cap for 30 minutes. I rinse and twist my hair again to airdry 90%. I then unravel my twists and use the L.C.O method which is leave-in conditioner, curl cream and oil. I’m active in the gym so my go to style is always twists or single plaits.
7. What do you love most about your hair?
I love the versatility, one day it can be curly, wavy, an afro or straight depending on my styles.
8. What do you dislike most about your hair?
I never get the same results twice, it’s style and hope for the best.
9. Which 3 products do you swear by?
I swear by Aunt Jackie’s In Control Moisturizing Conditioner, L’Oréal Elvive Oil in Balm, L’oreal Elvive Extraordinary Low Shampoo.
10. What are your top 3 hair tips?
Do everything in sections. Never comb dry hair. Deep condition after every wash.
11. Any encouragement for rookie naturals?
YouTube is your friend, don’t be afraid to reach out to people for advice. Do what feels comfortable for you. Don’t just go out and buy expensive products, figure out your hair type and porosity.
12. Where can people find you online (Instagram/YouTube/Facebook, etc.)?
Facebook: Kroes & Coiled Diaries.