Frospiration: Meet Lerato!
1. What’s your name and where are you from?
Lerato A. Mothusi, from Mafikeng in the North West.
2. How long have you had locs?
My locs are turning 5 years old this year, not sure when exactly but between February – April.
3. Why did you decide to start locs and what method did you use?
I had started going natural I think in 2009/2010 so between then and when I decided to start my locs there weren’t many hairstyles one could do with natural hair, well my hair was a bit coarse so I could not do your straight backs and such because my natural hair would pop out in less than a week. All I ever did were box braids, though I LOVED me some box braids I got tired of doing them, plus my hairline was starting to suffer. I started my locs by needle and thread.
4. What is one thing you have learnt from having locs?
Our hair is really beautiful and magical.
5. Have you ever struggled with build-up or breakage?
Only started experiencing thinning on some of my locs last year, I honestly do not know what the cause is, but it is breaking my heart. Thinking of joining the thinner ones together.
6. Twist or crotchet? And how often do you maintain your roots?
Twist. I only ever twist my hair for events, but I love my locs with a head full of growth. By maintaining my roots do you mean twisting my hair? I probably twist once every 3-4 months.
7. What do you love most about your hair?
I love love looooove how rich and full my hair is.
8. What do you dislike most about your hair?
I miss having box braids, when my locs were smaller I could get away with plaiting boxies, but now my hair is quite long and thicker. I hate how dreads limit you in terms of hairstyles.
9. Which 3 products do you swear by?
I honestly do not have products I swear by, I have been blessed with amazing hair and scalp. I do the absolute bare minimum. I like using shampoos and products that have some sort of oil in them, I base using oils…. So, any budget friendly product with the word “oil “in it, I am trying it out.
10. What are your top 3 tips for locs?
* Don’t style your dreads too often, I have seen too many people with thinning roots and receding hairlines because of this.
*Use oil-based hair products
*Be patient with your hair
11. What advice would you give to someone thinking of starting their own loc journey?
Look around for the best loctition you can find, I honestly think how your locs are started can make or break your loc journey.
12. Where can people find you online (Instagram/YouTube/Facebook, etc.)?
* Instagram: @leratomothusi